It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But, above all, try something. -Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945), 32nd U.S. President
So much of what I try seems to fail lately. Let’s see—where does my list begin?
- Trying to lose ten pounds.
- Trying to make it to music practice with childcare coverage.
- Trying to stay positive.
- Trying not to compare my situation to those around me.
- Trying to let go of perfectionism.
- Trying to let go of impressing others.
- Trying to let go of worrying about what others think.
- Trying to enjoy my kids when they are spilling popcorn seeds all over the floor.
- Trying to remember the joy of Shawn not the sadness of his absence.
- Trying to accept my life more than just grow accustomed to it.
If I would have written his entry yesterday it would have probably ended here. But, today is not yesterday and thankfully after seven consecutive hours of sleep, I feel a bit strengthened.
I have found it to be true that the best therapy for loss is to do something with the grief. Nearly anything is better than nothing. Of course, I am speaking of healthy engagements versus abusive “fixes” such as drinking, over-eating, sleep deprivation, drugs, obsessive shopping, etc.) And I also don’t advocate becoming busy or over-committed just for the sake of filling up one’s schedule. Doing something could be as simple as making a cup of coffee.
Without a set plan, this is how my day began:
- I exercised this morning.
- My mom offered to stay with my kids Thursday night for me to attend music practice.
- I read Mr. Roosevelt’s quote above and felt inspired.
- Today I am thinking about my story and not someone else’s appearance of a better story.
- Today my desk is a mess with mail and such, and I am choosing to journal anyway.
- These first five accomplishments impress me.
- I am not worried about who else I need to impress today.
- Maddi attempted to sweep the popcorn and Jordan put the bowl in the dishwasher. That I enjoyed.
- I dreamt last night of Honduras and Shawn. He was real for the minutes he appeared. What joy!
- Acceptance is a big word for me. I think nine out of ten tries is good for today. I am okay with this one staying on the list for awhile longer.
So back to the theory. Do something. Try something. Do try.